Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Growing Up

We cannot always build the future for our youth, but we can build our youth for the future. - F. D. Roosevelt

Though he was only 8 years old when he became king, Josiah decided to be a man for God. WOW!

Ask any child 'Who do you want to be when you grow up?' and just listen to the answers. Most will posit a famous entertainer, rapper, or maybe an athlete. Others might answer a doctor, lawyer, business owner, etc. All great replies you would expect from children, but they don't answer the question. It's not 'what' (profession) do you want to be, but 'who' (character) do you want to be. Thinking along these lines we might ask ourselves are there any other 'childish ways' we may be rooted in. It's true God wants us to come to Him with 'childlike' faith (purity) but He doesn't want us to remain 'childish' (immature) in our ways. As we look at where we are right now, is this who we imagined we would be at this point in our lives years ago? Do I still throw temper tantrums? Do I still 'take my ball and go home' when I don't get my way? Hopefully we're a far better version than we ever thought possible, so we should praise God. If we're not who we want to be then we should also praise God, for there's still time to change; and then ask Him to shape us into 'who' we need to be for His glory.

Until tomorrow...

Pastor Botts


"When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child; when I became an adult, I put childish ways behind me." - I Corinthians 13:11



No comments:

Post a Comment